We received a lot of answers to our ” #mondayquiz Where is the lighthouse”. The correct answer was… Rubjerg Knude!
Located on the coast of the North Sea in Rubjerg and within the burrough of Hjorring in northern Denmark, this lighthouse was first light on December 27,1900. Unfortunately over time, shifting sands and coastal erosion has had a negative impact in the area and the coast is eroded by about 1.5 metres a year.
The Rubjerg Knude lighthouse ceased operating on August 1,1968. For a decade the buildings were used as a museum and coffee shop but due to the shifting sands, they were abandoned in 2002.
Last year, the 720-tonne structure has been saved, in an operation to lift it up and move it 70m (230ft) inland “like skates on rails”.