In three short days at Geelong’s Festival of Sails, John Taylor’s and Rohan Veale’s brand new MC31 were unwrapped, rigged and raced for the first time with remarkable ease. And if the smiles on the faces of owners and crews at the end of each day’s racing was any measure of its destiny it seems that the latest addition to the McConaghy Boats’ stable shows all the promise of its popular sibling, the MC38.
The MC31 was born from a desire to create a boat and class that gave owners and crew the most rewarding time on the water.
The MC31 features an unprecedented performance driven hull form, and carefully considered systems and deck layout, that enhances the sailing experience, making it ideal for One Design and Club Racing with Offshore Capabilities.
McConaghy Boats has invested considerable time and effort to ensure the boat and the class rules delivered on the objectives which other classes had failed to do.
Key features of the MC31 design that make the performance difference:
• No rating rule constraints “rate low go slow”
• Pure clean hull with exceptional hull form stability
• Slender high aspect low drag carbon fiber keel fin and rudder blade
• Light weight hull deck and rig, heavy bulb
• High stability hull design combined with low centre of gravity allows for powerful yet surprisingly manageable sail plan
• Light weight stiff and strong structures engineered by world leading composite racing yacht specialists
• Low windage and ergonomic functional flush deck design with everything where it should be
• Large cockpit for easy crew movement
• Simple and minimalist approach to deck hardware and systems
• Design input in all areas comes from current world leading specialists with decades of experience in America’s Cups, Volvo Ocean Races and other one design classes, brought together by the experienced team at McConaghy Boats
McConaghy Boats has for five decades adhered to the mantra “to increase performance, add lightness” coined by Lotus founder Colin Chapman.
The MC38 and now the MC31 embody the spirit of Chapman and his engineering genius.
For more info, click here